LEARN, GROW AND THRIVE WITH A CAREER AT THE Y
Imagine going to work knowing that what you do each day positively affects the lives of the people in your community. Working at the Y, you'll discover more than a job—you’ll enjoy a career with a future and the opportunity to make a lasting difference in the lives of those around you. See our current opportunities below. Download an application here.
We are looking for enthusiastic group exercise instructors to join our team! Must be certified in one of the following AFFA, ACE, ACSM, specialty classes ie. Body Pump, PiYO, CIZE, Barre, or TRX
Job Type: Part-time
Pay Range: $14-$25/hr
Part‐time (2‐16 hours per month); flexible to meet requirements of the position including some evenings; weekend and holiday work may be required.
- Ensuring that member’s needs are met through personal recognition and by providing quality service and group fitness classes
- Ensuring that your fitness classes meet YMCA and ACSM standards
- Assuming a leadership role as a professional in the area of exercise and aerobics
- Ensuring that a safe and healthy environment exists for exercising
For more information contact Kathy Thomas
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Maintains safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck, and surrounding areas. Creates a safe and positive atmosphere that promotes member safety and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
- Maintains active surveillance of the pool area.
- Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies, procedures, and the “safe-in-six” model. Completes related reports as required.
- Maintains effective, positive relationships with the members, participants and other staff.
- Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area. Maintains accurate records as required by the YMCA and/or the state Health Department code.
- Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available as needed.
- Checks the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving.
- Performs chemical testing when not guarding, as required, and takes appropriate action.
- Attends all staff meetings and in-service training.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum age of 16.
- Certifications: CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid and Emergency Oxygen.
- Current YMCA Lifeguard, American Red Cross, or equivalent.
- Ability to maintain certification-level of physical and mental readiness.
- Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with YMCA standards.
For more information contact: Josh Gravette, 434-582-1900
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
Provides direct leadership, instruction and motivation for students in swimming classes.
- Instructs swimming lessons in accordance with YMCA guidelines, having prepared lesson plans accordingly.
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with students and parents; helps them connect with each other
- Conveys information on aquatics programs and schedules and as appropriate refers students and parents to and the YMCA.
- Encourages parent involvement and identifies potential volunteers. Maintains records as required (i.e. attendance, progress reports, etc.).
- Attends staff meetings and trainings as scheduled.
- Follows all YMCA policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including emergency and safety procedures.
- Completes incident and accident reports as necessary. Organizes and puts away needed class equipment.
- Reports damaged equipment.
- Trains and supervises class aides as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Certifications: CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid certification and Emergency Oxygen.
- Must be able to demonstrate swim instructor skills in accordance with YMCA standards.
- YMCA Swim Instructor certification, or equivalent.
- At least 16 years of age.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to instruct and observe participants in proper stroke techniques.
- Ability to lift equipment, and to lift a small to average size child.
Email Josh Gravette, 434-582-1900 for more informaiton
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: Water Fitness Instructor shall be part of a team responsible for the delivery of the YMCA of Central Virginia Group Exercise Program at the Jamerson YMCA branch in Lynchburg, Virginia.
AUTHORITY: To make decisions directly related to assigned duties within the framework of the YMCA of Central Virginia’s mission and guiding principles.
- Interpret, communicate, and promote YMCA mission, goals, and objectives to staff, volunteers, members, and the community.
- Be an active leader in membership retention goals.
- Provides appropriate and safe instruction on proper form and exercise technique.
- Teaches group exercise classes consistently with established formats.
- Arrived for class prior to scheduled class time, ends class on time.
- Directs class in a clear manner making adaptations for participants of all fitness levels.
- Establishes and maintains positive relationships with members and all staff.
- Maintains pool area and storage for cleanliness and reports all challenges to Aquatics Coordinator.
- Assists with marketing of Water Fitness Exercise programming.
- Attend all staff meetings.
- All other duties mutually agreed upon.
ACCOUNTABILITY: Reports directly to Aquatics Coordinator. Keeps her informed of plans, progress, and challenges in all areas of Water Fitness Exercise Program.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS: Current CPR certification. Holds current, nationally recognized certification or an approved equivalent.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Rigorous physical activity up to 1-1 ½ hours required. Must be able to lead both cardiovascular and strength exercises while verbally cueing instructions and movement changes. Must be able to physically assist others with all strength exercises if necessary.