The Jamerson Family pool will be closed August 14th - 16th for general maintenance while we touch up paint inside the building. Please note that upon reopening on Monday you may experience a strong paint smell in the family pool area. The Downtown YMCA pool will be available for use during this time.
A MESSAGE FROM OUR CEO
July 28, 2020
As many of you may already know we have seen a significant increase in positive Coronavirus cases in the Central Virginia area.
We wanted to let you know that beginning this Friday, July 31st staff will be reminding members as they enter our buildings that masks are required for entry. Masks are optional during exercise. The health and safety of our members, staff, and community are of paramount importance.
In addition to your safety being our top priority, Governor Northam has announced that establishments not enforcing the mask requirement are at risk of losing their business license.
To ensure your safety, and to ensure that the Y is standing firm on our commitment of being "a force for good in our community yesterday, today and tomorrow," staff will be reminding anyone not wearing a mask of this rule.
We appreciate your cooperation in ensuring a safe environment for all. For more information on our procedures, hours, and amenities please visit us online.
YMCA of Central Virginia CEO
July 27, 2020
The Downtown YMCA pool is open after closing for a deep cleaning, exceeding and in accordance with the Lynchburg Health Department's requirements. All planned activities will resume at this time. We appreciate your patience as we ensure that our facilities are clean and disinfected for your health and wellness needs.
At the YMCA of Central Virginia, the safety and well-being of our members, staff, volunteers, participants, and the broader Lynchburg community have always been and will always be a top priority.
Today we learned that a staff member tested positive for Coronavirus (COVID-19). We immediately took steps to ensure the safety of our staff and members by following all recommendations from the VDOH, and the best practices of YMCAs. Please see the steps taken as outlined below:
- Notify all Y members, guests, and staff that may have come in close contact with this staff member.
- Perform cleaning and disinfecting of all contact areas and surfaces.
- Although COVID-19 is not transmittable through water; we closed the pool for six hours to deep clean shared and frequently touched surfaces within the Aquatics Department.
- Additionally, our staff member and "close contacts" will quarantine from the Y for 14 days.
- Employees who are known or suspected to be positive for COVID-19 cannot return to work until they are released from isolation by a healthcare provider.
- We will continue to work with the health department and local physicians to determine what other actions, if any, would be prudent on our part. Each case is dealt with on an individual basis, the VDOH is providing the Y with the guidance to ensure that we are handling any positive cases within our facilities with the greatest care to minimize risk.
The above protocol has been adopted as part of our standard operating procedures in accordance with the Virginia Department of Health guidelines. As always we will keep you informed via email, social media, and our mobile app.
We appreciate the care and concern that our staff member took in notifying us of their test results to ensure the safety of our members and their fellow staff. We ask that our members and community show empathy and compassion during this time, and if they do know the identity of the staff person they please allow them privacy during this time. As a Y family and community it is our duty and responsibility to show empathy and do our best to slow the spread by wearing face masks, washing hands well and often, avoiding touching your face, and staying home when you are feeling unwell.
Please email us if you have questions or concerns at email@example.com