BEFORE & AFTER SCHOOL CARE
WHEN SCHOOL IS OUT, THE Y IS IN
The YMCA of Central Virginia Before and After School program is licensed through the state of Virginia Child Care Licensing Department. YMCA of Central Virginia Child Care works in partnership with your child's elementary school.
Y staff provide children with engaging and fun-filled activities in a safe and engaging environment so you can work without worry. Homework time, board games, afternoon snack, outdoor games (weather permitting) and arts and crafts are included in our daily routine. Please see a list of activities, important dates and locations below.
Madison Heights Elementary
Bedford Hills Elementary
Rockfish River Elementary
Tye River Elementary
Arrival and Departure
- During arrival and departure to the site, the parent or authorized persons are asked to park their car so as not to create a traffic hazard for children and other persons. If you are unfamiliar with your site’s traffic pattern, please check with site coordinator. This will ensure the safety of the children in our care.
- Children will be allowed to leave with persons other than the parent or guardian only if permission has been given to the coordinator on the registration form or in writing.
- If your child attends extracurricular activities or has any other kind or arrival or departure time change within the period he or she is in our care, you must provide the coordinator with written permission.
Hours of Operation
- Y- Before and After School Program is open from 6:30 am until the beginning of the school day and from the closing of school day until 6:00 pm. This program operates on the school calendar.
- If schools are closed, the Before and After School Program will not operate. YMCA does offer Fun Days and Camps for scheduled/unscheduled closings. These days operate from 7:00 am - 6:00 pm. Inclement weather/snow days operate from 8:00 am - 6:00 pm. See your Coordinator for more info.
- There will be no childcare offered on the following days - **Labor Day **Memorial Day **4th of July **Christmas Day **New Year’s Day **Thanksgiving Day + Day After
Open Door Policy
Parents of currently enrolled children are welcome to visit the center anytime during regular hours of operation.
- Sample Before School Schedule
6:30 – 7:30 Children Arrive Board Games 7:30 - 8:00 Outdoor/Group Games
8:00 - 8:30 Prepare for dismissal
- Sample After School Schedule 3:00 – 3:30 Arrival Time/Restroom 3:30 – 4:00 Snack
4:00 - 4:15 Cleanup/Restroom 4:15 - 4:45 Homework
4:45 - 5:30 Crafts/Theme activity 5:30 - 6:00 Outside/Dismissal
Open Doors Scholarship Program
During the registration process, please complete the following:
- Read all Child Care Policies and Procedures in the Handbook - See Below
- Complete entire registration form (forms with empty lines will not be accepted.)
- Provide correct and complete addresses and phone numbers of all persons authorized to pick up your child.
- Provide current and updated immunization chart and physical provided by a physician
- Licensing standards mandate that child care staff see and record the state ID number of your child’s original birth certificate or passport. Please bring it at the time you register.
- Children must be ages 5-12 to participate in our program.