High school or equivalent (Preferred)
Swim Instructor: 1 year (Preferred)
Night Shift (Preferred)
Day Shift (Preferred)
Basic First Aid & Oxygen Administration certification (Preferred)
Full Job Description
YMCA OF CENTRAL VIRGINIA JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Swim Instructor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Grade: Grade 3
Reports to: Director- Aquatics/Coordinator- Aquatics
Leadership Level: Leader
Primary Function: Family Center
The Y is a leading nonprofit for strengthening community, and the nation’s largest provider of swim lessons to increase skill and safety in and around water. This position provides direct leadership, instruction and motivation for students in swimming classes.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
- Instructs swimming lessons in accordance with YMCA guidelines, using prepared lesson plans accordingly.
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with students and parents; helps them connect with each other and the YMCA.
- Encourages parent involvement and identifies potential volunteers.
- Conveys information on aquatics programs and schedules and as appropriate refers students and parents to other programs.
- Must be able to attend required trainings.
- Accountable for completion of assigned goals as measured by the number of people served and service satisfaction.
- Engaging Community
- Communication & Influence
- Critical Thinking & Decision Making
- Emotional Maturity
- Developing Self & Others
- Minimum age of 16
- Current YMCA Swim Lesson Instructor certification. If an associate is Red Cross WSI certified, he or she must crossover to YMCA Swim Lesson Instructor within 60 days of employment.
- Current ASHI BLS, Basic First Aid, and Oxygen Administration certification (or equivalent course from American Red Cross, American Heart Association, or National Safety Council). Any BLS certification is only good for one year. (Preferred- Training provided)
Child abuse prevention training within 30 days of hire date
- Ability to maintain certification-level physical and mental.
- Must be able to demonstrate swim instructor skills in accordance with YMCA standards.
COVID-19 Compliance: Due to the national pandemic crisis of the COVID19 virus, it has become imperative that all employees full time and part-time must comply with several new responsibilities within their workday and positions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
HOURS: FLEXIBLE – AS NEEDED
- Ability to instruct and observe participants in proper stroke techniques.
- Ability to lift and pull equipment 50 pounds, and to lift a small to average size child.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Must be in good physical condition to teach classes.
- Must have ability to work in various temperatures. (i.e.: humidity, hot, cold, etc.)
- Must have ability to concentrate in a loud environment
This job description may not be all-inclusive. Employees are expected to perform all other duties as assigned and directed by management. Job descriptions and duties may be modified when deemed appropriate by management.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $14.00 - $21.00 per hour
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Referral program
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Due to the national pandemic crisis of the COVID19 virus, it has become imperative that all employees full time and part-time must comply with several new responsibilities within their workday and positions.
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Swim Instructor: 1 year (Preferred)
- Swim Lesson Instructor Certification (Required)
- Basic First Aid & Oxygen Administration certification (Preferred)
- Night Shift (Preferred)
- Day Shift (Preferred)
- One location